Tuesday, January 8, 2008

All the Pretty Horses review (4/5)

This was the first book I read this year! It meets several challenges--Decades (1940s), Book Around the States (Texas), and a TBR alternate, which maybe doesn't count since I read it before a REAL TBR.

I had never read Cormac McCarthy before, and I didn't think I would like him. At first, his endless sentences, while poetic, seemed to swim in my head like madness. And dialogue without quotations????? But I started reading, and before I knew it I realized that I no longer noticed the lack of quotes, and that I had fallen into the ever-flowing descriptive prose. This is a book that is somehow dry and reserved yet passionate and rich at the same time. At first the characters seemed remote and hard to know, but as I read on they became more and more alive. And the story pulled me in deeper and deeper until, by the last 100 pages or so, I could no longer put it down. I look forward to reading more of McCarthy.

No comments: