Saturday, August 30, 2008

Dragons of Autumn Twilight--Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman


Genre: Fantasy
Year Published: 1984
Pages: 448
Rating: 5

I first read this book in highschool, after my friend's brother turned me on to the series. I became enraptured by the endearing and diverse characters, the archaic and somewhat-cliche yet enjoyable language, and the dynamic and imaginative plots. I longed to visit the land of Krynn, where elves were tall, slender, and one with nature; where magic flowed and dragons flew; where kender traveled and dwarves remained stolid and stubborn; and where the gods involved themselves with their subjects.

So when I saw this book as an animated film at Hollywood Video, I couldn't resist renting it and watching it with my 9 year old son. He loved it so much he asked if he could read the books, so I checked my shelves, found what I had and bought what I didn't, and set him to work. He read this one quickly, and all of his questions made me aware that it had been a long time since I've read the series. So I picked it back up to read it again. I wasn't disappointed. The characters are like old friends, and even though I have a vague idea of what happens next, the details are fuzzy. I'm glad I get to share this experience with Trevor. I love these books.

In this, the first in the Dragonlance Chronicles Series, the heroes reunite after five years only to be immediately forced into an adventure involving a magic staff, which may or may not be a gift from the true gods. Protecting the bearer of the staff, a priestess from a barbarian tribe named Goldmoon, they go to find answers, escape from enemies, and discover whether armies are truly gathering in the north. What they find is that a shocking evil has come to the land of Krynn, and all must prepare to defend their lives.

I am ready to read the next book!

Challenge: Read it Again
Book-a-Week #: 42

No comments: