Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Diary of a Young Girl--Anne Frank


Genre: Memoir
Year Published: 1946
Pages: 304
Rating: 4/5


Anne Frank's memoir is always a worthy read--she is such a verbose, expressive and precocious writer, and the glimpse into life during wartime is an awakening for Americans. (However, I read this with my lower level highschool students --several of whom can barely read--and it did not go over well at all. It was slow moving and they hated it. And I got sick of reading it out loud). I remember the first time I read this book. I was about eight or nine, and the impact was immense, especially as a child of Jewish descent. I remember having a nightmare where I was forced to hide for my life in a closet, and other children who were free were shoving chicklets (remember that gum?) under the door for me.


I don't know if Anne's writing was doctored, but man could she write! And at 14? I went back and looked at my journal from when I was 14, and the writing was pathetic in comparison. Plus it was all about hating my parents and liking guys...then again, so was Anne's. But it still was lacking in poignancy. ;)

Challenge/s: Re-read
Book-a-Week #: 26

No comments: