Monday, August 25, 2008

R.I.P. III Challenge!

Completed as of 10/11/08! Click on titles to see my reviews...


Oh, how I love the R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Challenge! Probably because I love autumn, and Halloween, and reading, and all things creepy and crawly that go bump in the night. So when I got the alert about the third incarnation of this challenge, hosted by Carl V. at Stainless Steel Droppings, I immediately started thinking about what to read. At his suggestion, I will now list a potential pool of novels (I will be imbibing in Peril the First, meaning I will read 4 books from any of the following genres: mystery, gothic, horror, suspense, dark thriller, supernatural, dark fantasy):

The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly (8/26/08)
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (10/11/08)
Abarat by Clive Barker (12/21/08)
Lisey's Story by Stephen King (9/9/08)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (9/25/08)
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (12/26/08)

These are thebooks I hope to get to at a later date...

A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle (reread) (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Movie-Tie-Vintage-International/dp/0307455297/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219699165&sr=1-1)
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (http://www.amazon.com/Fablehaven-Brandon-Mull/dp/1416947205/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219699267&sr=1-2)Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (http://www.amazon.com/Alas-Babylon-Pat-Frank/dp/0060741872/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219698967&sr=1-1)
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Shaped-Box-Joe-Hill/dp/006114794X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219699023&sr=1-1)

6 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Yes indeed, that is a pool I could jump right into! Great books to choose from. So glad you're joining this year's challenge. Oddly enough the weather was unseasonably cool here this morning so psychologically I've been in the autumn/R.I.P. mood all day today. Quite fun!

DesLily said...

nice list! I've read the Book of Lost Things, The Thirteen Tale and the Fablehaven books... all excellent choices! I'll be reading your reviews!

Ana S. said...

Fantastic list! I loved The Book of Lost Things, Heart-Shaped Box and The Road. I can't wait to see what you think of them all.

Quixotical said...

Fantastic list. I read The Book of Lost Things last year and absolutely loved it (will pop back later on to check out your review as I see you've posted that one now).

The Thirteenth Tale is another great book, as is Heart Shaped Box.

It took me several attempts to get into Lisey's Story but the effort paid off, I found it really enjoyable (eventually).

Abarat is awesome. I have the second book waiting to be read, and I think I may have to try and pick that one up during the RIP challenge.

Look forward to your reviews!

http://blog.quixoticmiss.com

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get started on this challenge. I hope to get around to Heart Shaped Box and eventually to Fablehaven and The Thirteenth Tale.

Jodie Robson said...

I decided yesterday that I would add Abarat to my pool - it would be a re-read, but I really liked it, and now there's a sequel. Your other choices look interesting too.