Tuesday, July 29, 2008

1% Well-Read Challenge


****FINISHED AS OF 2/28/09!!!!!

Just in the nick of time! I realized there was no way I was going to finish Lord of the Rings (I was halfway through the second book yesterday) and then, just in time, I was reminded that I could switch my list at any time. So I started reading Cat's Eye yesterday, and finished it close enough to midnight to count (at least in my opinion!)
Some of these books were incredible: (The Poisonwood Bible, The Blind Assassin), and many were very good. None were awful, although The Sound and the Fury may have been the hardest book I ever read in my life, and I doubt I would do it again!!!

I am excited to sign up for this years 1% challenge!*****


After perusing the 1001 books (of which I have read a mere 58), I picked my ten for this challenge. According to the excel spreadsheet I downloaded, I need to read 21 books a year to complete the list before I die at the age of the average western female. So maybe next year I'll up the ante.

Meanwhile, here's the list. I tried to crossover with other challenges as much as possible, and to pick books that I already have and have never read, so I can get them out of the house and bring in more books!

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (finished 8/21/08)
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (finished 12/14/08)
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (finished 11/26/08)
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (finished 1/13/09)
Wuthering Heights by Emile Bronte (finished 12/26/08)
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison (finished 1/19/09)
Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (finished 2/28/09)
Foundation by Issac Asimov (10/20/08)
Animal Farm by George Orwell (1/10/09)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick (1/22/09)

No comments: