Thursday, December 4, 2008

Foundation--Issac Asimov

Year Published: 1951
Pages: 256
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: 3.5/5

I'm not the hugest sci-fi fan, but I thought it was high time I read some Asimov. Pretty amazing stuff, actually, considering where technology was at the time it was written. In this series (of which I have only read this one), a foundation of scientists (psychohistorians, who are sort of statisticians who predict human behavior based on mathematical probability) realize the end of the world is imminent and come up with a way to preserve society. They pick people to send to different ends of the universe, and set into motion a plan, one that is wholly dependent upon the lead psychohistorian's predictions. And then we get to watch it unfold. It was an enjoyable and thought-provoking read, if somewhat dry and, well, scientific. I do plan on finishing the series next year.

Challenge/s: Naming Conventions; 1% Well Read
Book-a-Week # 54

No comments: