Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha--Arthur Golden

Genre: Fiction/Literature
Year Published: 1997
Pages: 448
Rating: 5

As I read this book, it was hard for me to believe that it was a work of fiction. The narrator was so real, and her thoughts so vivid, that I couldn't imagine someone--especially an American male--making it up. I was captivated almost instantly by Chiyo's story of hardship, hope, and love. And the immersion into the geisha culture was eye-opening for me--I knew very little of it before I read this book. This is the best book I've read this year, narrowly surpassing Water for Elephants.

I read this book because I saw a small portion of the movie--the beginning, when Chiyo and her sister were being sold--and it piqued my interest. I went out and bough the book that evening. I have yet to watch the entire movie.

Challenge/s: None
Book a Week # 19

No comments: