Monday, February 18, 2008

Cell--Stephen King

One of the biggest complaints I hear about King is that he "never finishes his books". While I don't find that to be the case all the time, it sure is this time. I was thrilled by this brilliant, well-written book, and when I read the ending I wanted to throw it across the room.

It is worth reading, however. When something (a terrorist attack is the suspicion, but never verified) causes people's cell phones to make them go crazy, only those who didn't have a cell phone are left to navigate the earth, battle the "phone-crazies", and look for their lost loved ones. Meanwhile, the "phone-crazies" are flocking together and acting as under one mind, and using powers that had been previously hidden in their brain, such as telepathy and levitation. This book illustrates beautifully the parallels between our brains and a computer, and speculates on how such a re-wiring might affect humanity. As per usual King, the characters are incredibly developed and real, and the story keeps you involved and excited--until the very last. Then its up to you to decide what happens next. Grrr...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree. If only there had been an ending, this would have been the best book. When the book ended, I screamed...lol! :)

TenaciousDoll said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I picked this up at the library today.