Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Lightning Thief--Rick Riordan

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Year Published: 2005
Pages: 375
Rating: 4/5

"Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."

This is a very clever and engaging young adult novel about a sixth grader who discovers he is a demigod. Although this does explain his ADHD, dyslexia, and inability to make it through a school year without getting expelled, it brings on a whole new set of problems, as Percy needs to flee the gods and monsters who want him dead, save his mother's life, and stop the gods from launching a major war at the summer solstice.

Any fan of Greek mythology will enjoy Riordan's integration of the gods, heroes and monsters into today's modern world. My ten year old son recommended this book to me, and I think I enjoyed it as much as he did.

Book a week #: 24
Date Read: 4/13/09
Challenge/s: Young Adult

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to starting this series, it sounds like just my kind of read.

Lisalit said...

I am on the fourth book now, Rhinoa, and I am loving it!!!