Monday, February 16, 2009

The Fellowship of the Ring--J.R.R. Tolkein

Year Published: 1954
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 468
Rating: 3/5

I had a hard time getting into this book, and an even harder time finishing it. As much as I want to like Tolkein, I just don't. He's wordy, and, well, I'm sorry but boring. Don't get me wrong--the story is not boring at all. The world that he created isn't boring, and neither are the characters. But I find the writing so tedious! I'm not discounting the genius of Tolkein; I'm just sayin', sometimes genius is dull.

But all that nonwithstanding, I'm glad I read book one (all 460 pages of it) and I plan on reading the next two as well. Why? Well, for one thing I'm stubborn, and I hate being bested by a book. Also, the story is good! I wanna know what happens! And it is the last book on my 1% Well Read Challenge list. But besides all that, this book is the precursor to many of the fanstasy books I know and love today. I can see where much of the Dragonlance and Dungeons and Dragons lore comes from as I read Lord of the Rings. So there you have it--finish it I will!

Book a week #:
Challenge/s: TBR, 1% Well-Read, A-Z
Date Read: 2/15/09

No comments: